Winching safety

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 14:34
ThreadID: 42588 Views:2420 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Watching the competition guys on 4WD TV I see that they always drive whilst winching. When I did driver training I was told never to do that because if the vehicle slips back after gaining some ground by driving (and the cable is then slack) the cable could break due to the sudden jolt/strain. I'm not interested from a personal aspect because I don't have a winch. However if it is a safety issue then why aren't they forced to winch without driving? I suppose it would slow things down too much and thus spoil the spectacle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: furph - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 14:48

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 14:48
Moose, I seem to be one of those 4wd'ers always getting stuck in something.
An area I live in has seemingly bottomless decomposed granite, which even when dry on top can be treacherous. Break through the crust and the situation is hopeless in less than a metre.
So out with the winch rope, strap around a friendly tree and snig her out. Leave the engine on fast idle (hand throttle) to keep the amps up and dont even think about trying to drive, it only digs in deeper.
Of course, this is in a flat ground bog. Perhaps loosing traction on a really steep climb requires a different technique. We also have some of that country, but leave it for the tyre burners.
furph
AnswerID: 223376

Reply By: udm - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 17:22

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 17:22
high mount winches take up the rope slack very quick...
AnswerID: 223393

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 18:10

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 18:10
This has been done to death and there are heaps of info if you do a search.

The short is.....if the winch can cope with the 'pull' then you should only use the winch but if the suction is excessive then you may have to drive to assist.

Personally if you know how to use your recovery equipment then you will never need to drive to assist. Thats what snatch blocks and twin line pulls etc are for...so your winch can cope with any recovery.

Tuff Comps are not a good representation of 4wdriving...they are timed competition events and as such...dont exactly follow the safest (safety margins) methods. Its like comparing V8 supercars to driving in the suburbs!

Matt.
AnswerID: 223402

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:28

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:28
"Its like comparing V8 supercars to driving in the suburbs! "

Ah, you obviously don't live near my work place at Hackham West in SA. The local denizens do drive like the were at the Clipsal 500. There is nothing like the sound of screeching tyres and sirens in the distance!

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 484345

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 10:15

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 10:15
Exactly!! I know that was meant tongue in cheek and I share your mental picture.

But funny you mention cos that is exactly what Im talking about..they watch the Supercars like some watch the Warn Winch challenge and then out they go and try to replicate "saw this on TV..I know what Im doing"!

And while the V8 SCs have rollcages, helmets, flame suits and 4 point harnesses the idiot in the suburbs have nothing but immaturity to protect them. Same goes for the weekend worriers(sic) no regulation, while the Warnies have helments, rollcages, safety zones (spectators) harnesses and even vehicle inspections before competing.

Hmm, yet people still argue when it comes to driver safety courses taking the conservative and safe approach when instructing on vehicle recoveries.

Ahh well some people never learn till life teaches them a lesson!
FollowupID: 484368

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 20:53

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 20:53
Moose the winches used in competition are not your ordinary off the shelf product. They often run line speeds two to four times faster so there is little or no over run on the drum minimising shock loads. Most are using Plasma (synthetic) rope so the recoil if it does break is not as severe. Rules also require them to use a dampner in most cases to bring the broken rope to ground. Obviously this is competition so using the wheels to assist the winch will be quickest. To avoid the winch boy being in the line of fire should it break many comp trucks have in cab opperated clutches & switching.
Although it may be safer to winch as per your driver training, in the real world when secure anchor points aren't directly in front or the vehicle is buried in mud over the wheels, some slow assistance in low 1st may be required. Also when winching over a rock ledge it is better to drive a little to get the tyre to ride up & over the step rather than stall the winch trying to drag through it. The key is minimising any slack on the drum & one reason many choose winches with a fast no load rewind rating like the Warn High mount.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 223426

Sponsored Links